Sunday, September 15, 2013

Happy National Neonatal Nurses Day!



Today I wanted a blog post to recognize some of the most amazing people God brought into our lives. We are so appreciative of the whole NICU staff and doctors at the Cincinnati Children's Hospital, but the nurses we had the privilege to meet are on a whole different level! You all are such an amazing part of our lives because you all were there taking care of not one, but BOTH of our sweet little girls!From the very first day that Trenna was brought into the H-pod, we had a very special nurse that became our primary, Julie. She was so great with the girls and me right from the start and  every day that she works, I not only looked forward to coming in and spending the day with the girls, but also to get to chat with her. She watched over the girls as if they were her own and were very protective of them and got things done! We joked and called her our "tour guide Julie" because on Saturday evenings, when Trevor was up to visit, she talked us into going out and getting some fresh air to help keep our sanity.... and it worked! I was a bit hesitant to leave the babies and even felt a bit guilty to go out at first, but knowing that she was there to watch them made me feel so much more comfortable and I was able to go. And because we went out Saturday evenings and I didn't stay the night during the week at the hospital, we also had 2 more PM primaries, Sam and Tam. These wonderful ladies worked the sleepiest time 7pm-7am! And again, I started out feeling guilty for leaving my babies with someone else when I felt I should be taking care of them day AND night, but these ladies knew their stuff and were so awesome with the girls. We called Tam the "Ellie Whisperer" because even though Ellie was stubborn with us at times, Tam could ALWAYS get her to take her full bottles (speaking of which, we may need to bribe her to come move in with us for a while because both girls are being stubborn with their bottles right now, haha!) And just to recognize nurses we met in the H-pod Kelly, the 2 Bens, Olivia, Ilene, Chrissy, just to name a few. And when we moved to the B-pod and room 11 because known as the "Twincess Room" our primaries followed, but we also got to meet some new nurses like Elizabeth. We loved getting to meet her as well. She kept things interesting, especially towards the end of our stay when she and I did all of my going home training with NG Nate baby and all the basic play time with the girls
 Fun with nurses Elizabeth and Tam and the girls


without these nurses, our girls would not have been able to go from the top two pictures to the bottom picture. Happy and healthy all thanks to you all!!!!

And with the knowledge and time they gave me, I owe a great deal of thanks to them for everything I learned. By them showing me how to do CPR on an infant, and the signs to look for, I was able to remain calm in our stressful moment when Trenna was choking and turning blue. 
You all will forever hold  special place in my heart because you helped take care of the most important things in the world to me, Trenna and Ellie. You all are amazing! 

And also a big thank you to those nurses that we are friends with on facebook who have showered us with lots of wisdom and advice now that we are home! You all take your job to heart and the passion and love you have for our babies and others show and it's such a beautiful gift from God!
THANK YOU!!!!!

"I thank God for you-the God I serve with a clear conscience, just as my ancestors did. Night and day I constantly remember you in my prayers". 2 Timothy 1:3

"Because of the service by which you have proved yourselves, men will praise God for the obedience that accompanies your confession of the gospel of Christ, and for your generosity in sharing with them and with everyone else. And in their prayers for you their hearts will go out to you, because of the surpassing grace God has given you." 2 Corinthians 9:13-14


"May the Lord, the God of Israel, under whose wings you have come to take refuge, reward you fully for what you have done." Ruth 2:12



3 comments:

  1. Thank you guys for being the best patients ever! NG Nate misses your girls. He doesn't have as much fun playing with the other babies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're going to make me cry, Shannon! You guys are amazing. I can't believe how big the girls are getting...Trenna will catch up to Ellie soon enough! Hope all is well in Kentucky! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww aren't you the sweetest! I just cried my eyes out. Fabulous parents, like you both, make my job so wonderful! I miss not being able to come in and know that I will have you guys. The girls look great. I hope life is treating you well and, Shannon.... it's the best time of the year. Pumpkin everything! ;-)

    ReplyDelete